Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Day 6: Airhead Fondant

Who doesn't love the look of a pristine cake covered in fondant?

cake
Of course it's gorgeous!  But that fondant is some hard stuff to work with!  I've done a few cakes with it, but I try to avoid it if I can.  Aside from being difficult to work with, it tastes awful!  It tastes what I imagine play-doh would taste like.  They say you can flavor it, but that just seems like too much trouble.  I do, however, like to use it for extra touches on a cake like words, bows, or anything else I can easily sculpt. 

And for those little touches, why not use Air Heads? 

They taste much better than fondant and are about the same consistency.  They're a little bit tougher to cut out with a cookie cutter because of their thicker consistency, but if you just nuke it in the microwave a few seconds, it softens it up.

This would not be ideal to cover a whole cake, but for little extras this would work great!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What are 'Airheads'? I'm afraid I've never heard of them. Is this a product only available in the US? (I'm Canadian)

Staci said...

Maureen - They are a taffy like candy. I don't know if they're available in Canada or not. If you just google them, you'll see them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails