Monday, February 15, 2010

List of Words - Top Ten Tuesday

Photobucket

I've always had a tinge of jealousy for people who naturally flow with words. I feel like I stumble all over my words in speech and in writing. This has become apparently clear as I'm working on an essay for something at work. I had another teacher proofread it and I could barely read my original essay through all the markings.

Fast forward to this weekend and I saw the movie Love Happens. Cute little movie! One of the little querps (did I just make that up?) of the leading lady is she leaves random words written on the wall behind pictures. One of the words was quidnunc which is a person who is eager to know the latest news and gossip; a gossip or busybody. I really have no idea what that had to do with any part of the movie...she was a florist!

Anyways, it got me thinking about words and my lack of, well, words.

So without further adoo (adoo...eh, you get the idea!) here are my Top Ten words that I thought were funny and unique:

1. Oxter - the armpit

2. Dactylonomy - a person who is eager to know the latest news and gossip; a gossip or busybody.

3. Gamp - an umbrella

4. Liripoop - a silly person (this was actually the 3rd definition, but I like it the best!)

5. Bever - a light snack between meals.

6. Triskaidekaphobia - fear of the number 13

7. Nudiustertian - the day before yesterday

8. Badot - silly

9. Emacity - a fondness for buying things.

10. Jentation - breakfast

Some of these words have been lost in the English language and aren't found in dictionaries any more. I'm thinking we should bring some of them back!!

For more TTT lists, go visit OhAmanda.

9 comments:

Nashville TV Show said...

You are so badot:)

ohAmanda said...

Ha! I was going to say the same as Mandi!

:)

Jenn said...

Stac, I love that your blogging more!

"Jen's Jentation" may be my new phrase for when I'm hungry in the a.m.!!!!

:)

Lauren said...

I totally didn't know a majority of those words, haha!!!

Unknown said...

Never heard of any of these! What a fun post - thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

wow! Where ever did you find these words?? Very interesting top ten! I was about to write that I'm whichever word means "fondness for buying stuff" but I've already forgotten it! lol I'll have to try to throw a couple of those words in my conversation with hubs tonight :oD

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love Jentation, it's my fave meal of the day.

Really, I only knew one or two words on this list.

Cheryl said...

"BADOT" -- Sounds like the word that Evan use to call me before he could say "gami"!!! HOW FUNNY!!!! Those were the funniest words - I NEVER HEARD ANY OF THEM!!! You are SO CLEVER!!! (or did one of those words mean that!!!!!!) Loved it!!!!!!!!!!

gami

Christine Satterfield said...

After Jentation I like to have a Bever. Hope I'm not the only one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails