Saturday, March 06, 2010

Diana: A Celebration

Do you remember where you were when you heard Princess Diana had passed? I was on a church youth group retreat and just couldn't believe it. She just seemed so larger than life and untouchable.

Today, I got to attend the Diana: A Celebration exhibit. My sister and I took my mom for her birthday as a girls day out.


The exhibit takes you through her life focusing on her childhood, engagement, wedding, charity work, and her untimely death. I have to say that when I walked into the display part of her funeral, it was moving. Just so sad because she was someone doing so much good and she genuinely loved helping people.

The one thing I wish the exhibit focused on a little more is her role as a mother. You could tell, even without knowing her, how much of a dedicated mother she was. She loved those boys more than anything. There were a few pictures of her with the boys, but that was about it.

Here's a couple of interesting facts I learned from the exhibit:

  • Her wedding shoes were suede on the bottom to prevent her from slipping.
  • She really made headlines when she was photographed touching a leper because no on in her position had done that before.
I would recommend not going right when it opened...which is what we did. Apparently everyone else wanted to get there when it opened too. Because of the poor lay out of the exhibit at the beginning, we were log jammed and couldn't move for about 35-40 minutes. After that, it did finally open up and you could walk through it at your own leisure.

As an incentive for you to try it, here's a $3 off coupon. Just print it off.


Disclosure: I was given 2 complimentary tickets to the exhibit in exchange for this little ole blog post!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I still have my Princess Diana paper dolls!

So interesting.... if we ever get the chance ~ we will go!

thediaperdiaries said...

I'm going to assume that by "youth group" you mean post college hang out group. Cause otherwise I am quite old.

Related Posts with Thumbnails