Saturday, January 09, 2010

Abstract Puppet Cupcakes

That's some more of a title?

My friend, Oh Amanda, was celebrating her daughter, Lydia's, 4th birthday with a puppet party! She and I were both on a puppet team in high school. Yes, we were that cool.

The party was so cute. Kids made several different types of puppets, watched old Muppet videos, and took home cute little finger puppets as party favors. All the kids had a blast!

I've been doing Lydia's birthday cakes since her first birthday. This year, though, proved a challenge with the puppet theme. Of course, we all know some famous puppets: Kermit, Big Bird, Elmo and all their friends. But it wasn't a Sesame Street or Muppet party...it was a puppetry party.

So, what I decided to do was take all those familiar and lovable characters that are so recognizable and use aspects of them.

See if you can figure out who these characters are:



These would the lovable Elmo. I made the texture of his fur by spreading a generous amount of icing on the cupcake and then did a sort of spackling technique by lightly slapping, for lack of a better word, the icing and then pulling it up.



These are Ernie. They are the same color stripes as he has on his shirt. Please ignore the shoddiness of my stripes.


This is Bert. Again...turn a blind eye to the stripes.



The infamous Cookie Monster!



Here's Oscar the Grouch. His garbage can lid is an Oreo wrapped in tin foil.



"Kermit the frog, here". I liked this one because the icing, batter, and cupcake liner were all green.


And last we have Big Bird. I used a leaf tip to make a feather like look. For the "feathers" on top, I melted candy melts, dyed them yellowish and put them in a ziploc bag. I cut off the corner to make a very fine point and just made the outline on wax paper.

And here's what they looked like all together at the party!






7 comments:

Cindy said...

Staci- They were the cutest and most clever cupcakes ever! I loved the abstract idea. Sorry I was so slow in figuring it all out- you are so smart and creative. They were PERFECT.

Nashville TV Show said...

So cute Staci!! As always you outdid yourself!!

Wendy said...

So creative! You did a fantastic job, and they were delicious to boot!

Lauren said...

Sooooo cute!!!! :)

mom said...

What a great idea - I even knew who some of them were!!!!

The Hickmans said...

So different, and cute!!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Those are just the cutest ever! Thanks so much for linking up to Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Related Posts with Thumbnails